Most Power of One Volunteers help in elementary school classrooms on a regular, consistent basis. Teachers provide the instruction, direction and materials for working with students.
Tasks may include:
- Reading skill practice or reading aloud with students
- Math review, games or skills practice
- Running a station where small groups of students rotate through an activity
- Helping students as needed during whole class instruction
- Art – sharing artistic talents or knowledge, helping students with art supplies, preparing materials for projects
- Music – supporting students and teachers during instrumental music instruction
- Science & Experiments – preparing materials for experiments or projects
- English Language Learners Programs – support students with non-English or limited English speaking skills
Volunteers help as little as one hour, once a week to as much as several hours on one or more days, depending on experience, availability and interest. Teachers and staff appreciate and depend on having regularly scheduled help with their students.